Argon One V3 nvme not recognized

Appreciated your comment. Still, it’s not working. A new RPi5 board is already on its way so I can verify if the port is dead soon.

Update from my side, tried a new ssd today, a lexar NM790, which was stated to be support by other boards. This one also does not show up. So i think that either the case or my rpi board is broken…

Hi, Not sure if you have install the EEPROM script to make sure that the NVME is detected during boot time ? The eemprom install script updates the Raspberry Pi EEPROM config file to enable NVME boot.

Hi there, yes I did run both scripts. But if I boot from my sd card the ssd is not visible when running the command lsblk and is also not found at /sys/blocks where it should at least have a reference.

If I boot from nvme I get two timeouts saying no nvme found.

2 Likes

Very much the same on my end as well. NVMe drives didn’t show up anywhere. I think I did all I could. Bought a new RPi 5 to see if the previous had broken PCIe slot. Bought a new NVMe drive to see if compatiblity caused trouble.
Updated firmwares several times. No luck.
Quite disappointed at the moment.

Yes, looks like the same problem. I think I’m going to buy a different case, for example the neo to see if that one is working. Maybe it could also be a (broken) cable problem. Unfortunately there is no way to see if the connector is doing something or is just dead.

Please keep us updated if you receive your new pi.

How did it end? It works?

Can someone help me?

If after making sure that cable is sitted properly, bootloader is updated and script is installed properly, it still dont work, please contact our customer service at cs@argon40.com, we will help sort things out.

The new RPi 5 didn’t make any difference so I’m sure the problem must be with the nvme board. I wonder if firmware upgrade would fix it but I don’t have a Windows PC.

I am having the same issue as others on this thread.
I followed the Argon v3 NVMe instruction manual to the letter, installing all the scripts as instructed.
I have re-built the case twice, ensuring all the cables and connectors are secure.

I also used the RPi Imager on my Mac to write to the NVMe drive successfully. (Netac NV3000 NVMe SSD 256GB, which is on the list of supported drives)

After all of this, my NVMe just doesn’t appear in lspci or lsblk :frowning: Very disappointed at the moment.

@segabor You mentioned a firmware upgrade… is this for the RPi or for the V3 NVMe board itself? If it’s for the NVMe board, where can I find the firmware upgrade? Luckily I do have a windows PC :crossed_fingers:

@demyers kindly pointed out the page below is for the Argon case for RPi 4. Sorry for the false info.

Here’s Martin Rowan’s blog on firmware upgrade: https://www.martinrowan.co.uk/2023/02/argon-one-nvme-board-fixed/
Hope it helps. And don’t forget to let us know.

That blog post appears to be talking about the NVMe board for the Argon ONE V.2 for the Pi 4, which connects using USB 3.

Good catch. Corrected my above post.

I had found that post previously and discarded it because I also noticed it was for the RPi4 case. Saying that though, at this point I have nothing else to try so I think I might just try it anyway to see what happens.

I’ll let you all know once I try.

Hello,

I am having the same issue as others on this thread.

I got myself an Argon One V3 followed the instructions and several videos, installed an Intenso SSD and no SSD found. So I got myself an AData Legend 700 250GB SSD, well nothing. I’ve put it into my PC and formatted it to FAT32 via the Pi imager, installed it into the case and still no SSD. I would like to try another ribbon Cable, is it a special one, or can I buy any 16pin cable online?

Thanks

(Sorry for my english it’s not my first language)

Edit: I’ve ordered a FFC FPC 16 Pin Pitch 0.5mm cable. I will update you if it worked or not.

1 Like

I bought the NEO case to test, guess what, the nvme is recognized right away! So it seems an issue with the nvme board of the argon one sadly enough…

1 Like

I installed the SSD elsewhere to see if it was the problem. Well, it wasn’t. The other board (Turing RK1 SoC) instantly recognized my Kioxia drive and it’s been operating quite fine since then.
Now I’m quite sure the nvme board (or the ribbon cable) has an issue.

After contacting Argon CS, I can now boot from the NVMe drive :partying_face:
The issue for me was that the PCIe ribbon cable was the wrong way round :frowning:
I’m attaching the pictures the Argon CS agent sent me, as I’m sure the instruction manual is either incorrect or very misleading / unclear.

I hope this can help someone on this thread.

1 Like

Glad your SSD is working. Mine is plugged the right way as well, but doesn’t work at all. I’m about to send the case back.