Updated EON control scripts

Just found that the exact same problem was described for the original scripts - also as described there in a later post, a ’ /usr/bin/python3 /etc/argon/argononed.py SERVICE’ works (while running in the foreground). That’s not a solution though, not even a workaround…

Inspired by this post, I took a look at the unit files argononed.service and argoneond.service. There appears to be a mistake, which looks like a likely cause for the lockup - here’s the original argoneond.service unit file:

Description=Argon EON RTC Service
After=multi-user.target
[Service]
Type=simple
Restart=always
RemainAfterExit=true
ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /etc/argon/argoneond.py SERVICE
#ExecStopPost=/usr/bin/python3 /etc/argon/argoneond.py SHUTDOWN
[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

If multi-user.target must be reached before start of the service, and on the other hand the service should be started as part of the same target, this asks for trouble I’d guess.
I’ve changed the ‘After’ line to After=boot-complete.target.
I also did similar modification to argononed.service.
This seems to fix the problem - mot much testing done though yet.

Updated the .service files.

Thanks!

Hi. I’m loving the mods. Its much easier to configure and the status commands are great.

I’m wondering - is there a way to exclude a specific disk from temperature monitoring or set a different cooling profile per device?

The problem I am specifically trying to solve is that my cooling fan almost always runs pretty much flat out. I have an external disk which runs hotter than I’d like (although totally stock and how WD intended it). I think the hot external USB drive is reporting that it is hot and the fan is spinning up to try to cool it but of course having no effect. My theory is that if I can either exclude the usb external disk from the monitoring, or somehow set its temperature to report colder than it is, I can avoid the unnecessary fan noise, whilst leaving a sensible cooling profile for the 2 internal disks.

Added this as an issue, thanks!

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance, to test this on Ubuntu 23.10 ?

I have not. Give it a shot and let me know how it goes!

Thank you so much for this script and this thread! It saved my sanity (as I have the Eon next to me). The fan noise was killing me, but now it’s allright. :slight_smile:

Also, I got this neat fan to simply place under the Eon… will post that on the temperature thread.

Hi there, I’ve just got my Argon EON, and am wanting to install this script, but am having problems…

I run the curl & bash to start the install, and get a screen asking if I want a login to be accessible over serial.

Yes is highlighted, but I cannot press enter for yes, switch to No or anything else.

I’m running a Pi 4 4Gb with Raspbian Bookworm fully updated. I have OMV 7.0-23

Can I get a pointer to get this working?

Thanks!

Same issue here when I tried to install

I could not get it working with Bookworm, so I am currently running on Bullseye (Debian 11).

I have not attempted to install on Bookworm, not sure what your error was… as it does not attempt to login over serial …

Anyway, I’ll see if I can spin up bookworm.

@autofreak57 @AhnFire @salawinder

Updated the code for bookworm… I am having a hard time creating a microSD at the moment (all of mine are failing…) so I tested on a non-EON. Script downloaded everything, and it appears functional.

Please retry and let me know if something is not working,

Thanks

Hiker

2 Likes

@NHHiker that has installed fine & workign great too. Thanks for your help!

No problem, thanks for the install test!

This still does not sync RTC time at all. Why it’s SO HARD to just have this feature working on this case ? Like i activate i2c, enable it, sync timezone. All : still not working.

Can we just have a SIMPLE way to activate a feature at a thing we buy ? Please ?

Um… @tripop I don’t work for Argon… Frankly I have zero need for the RTC functionality past time setting, and with a battery that works just fine for me.

So, exactly WHAT does not work for you and how have you verified that it is not working?

Well. Just do “timedatectl” to show it not sync, and not working. I follow the steps.

It seem i fixed it by doing a modification of a systemd (thing that i found here on a old thread) but now it doesn’t work AGAIN (for… no reason ?) and the script don’t want to update RTC because

sudo argon-config does this :

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/etc/argon/argoneond.py", line 961, in <module>
    print("RTC Time:", getRTCdatetime())
  File "/etc/argon/argoneond.py", line 481, in getRTCdatetime
    bus.write_byte(ADDR_RTC,2)
OSError: [Errno 16] Device or resource busy

Without sudo it does

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/etc/argon/argoneond.py", line 17, in <module>
    bus=smbus.SMBus(1)
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied

Also i have to do this to finally make RTC chip working : EON RTC Working? - #3 by SJMarty (kind of baffled by the fact this thing is not mentioned anywhere ? It like… the thing you have to do to make RTC work, so hello argon doc ? argon support ?. Don’t understand, really…)

Worked Perfect this time! Thanks!