Trouble with omv6 - resolved, but potentially problem with eon

Running OMV6 on rasbian 64bit lite. I get to the part in the omv beginner guide where i must wipe my storage disk. I do this, get an error. guide warns, you may get an error, so run it again. Ran it 4 or 5 times, error every time:

> Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Warning! Read error 5; strange behavior now likely! Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table entries is 0 bytes, but this program supports only 128-byte entries. Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage. Creating new GPT entries in memory. Warning! GPT main header not overwritten! Error is 5

shrug this off, proceed in guide to next step, file system > create file system. another error. nothing happens beyond the error so i feel i’m at a point where i need to face the first error i was receiving, which must play into this.

• slightly more to this… when i inspect the drive /dev/sdb in parted, it has a ‘unrecognised disk label’ error. it’s unable to create a new label or partition in parted. i plugged it into my windows, was able to reassign gpt and format it as exfat. unmount from windows, reconnect to linux. fire it back up, looks normal in omv. it shows that it has a exfat filesystem and can be mounted. assume that, per the beginners guide, i need to wipe this and format it to ext4. the quick wipe this time looks promising, spinning for a while, and then finally spitting out the exact same error as before. once again, go to filesystem to create an ext4 filesystem… same error as before here. back to parted, once again, unrecognized disk label.

What am i doing wrong here? Something about the workflow i’m following is resulting in problems. it’s a bit tedious to get it moved back and forth to windows/linux. my wd red plus drive is going from fully functional in windows, to completley unusable in linux along this listed workflow. Once again, any thoughts are helpful.

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; sgdisk --new=1:0:0 --typecode=1:8300 --print '/dev/sdb' 2>&1' with exit code '4': Warning! Read error

; strange behavior now likely!

Warning: Partition table header claims that the size of partition table

entries is

bytes, but this program

supports only

-byte entries.

Adjusting accordingly, but partition table may be garbage.

Warning! Read error

entries is

bytes, but this program

supports only

-byte entries.

Creating new GPT entries in memory.

Disk /dev/sdb: 7814037168 sectors, 3.6 TiB

Model: sata

Sector size (logical/physical): 512/4096 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 80464B4A-BE40-4807-992B-0010D717BB48

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 7814037134

Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries

Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 2048 7814037134 3.6 TiB 8300

Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts'

menu will resolve this problem.

Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error

MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable.

OMV\ExecException: Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; export LANGUAGE=; sgdisk --new=1:0:0 --typecode=1:8300 --print '/dev/sdb' 2>&1' with exit code '4': Warning! Read error

entries is

bytes, but this program

supports only

-byte entries.

Warning! Read error

entries is

bytes, but this program

supports only

-byte entries.

Creating new GPT entries in memory.

Disk /dev/sdb: 7814037168 sectors, 3.6 TiB

Model: sata

Sector size (logical/physical): 512/4096 bytes

Disk identifier (GUID): 80464B4A-BE40-4807-992B-0010D717BB48

Partition table holds up to 128 entries

Main partition table begins at sector 2 and ends at sector 33

First usable sector is 34, last usable sector is 7814037134

Partitions will be aligned on 2048-sector boundaries

Total free space is 2014 sectors (1007.0 KiB)

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name

1 2048 7814037134 3.6 TiB 8300

Unable to save backup partition table! Perhaps the 'e' option on the experts'

menu will resolve this problem.

Warning! An error was reported when writing the partition table! This error

MIGHT be harmless, or the disk might be damaged! Checking it is advisable. in /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc:664

Stack trace:

#0 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(588): Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->Engined\Rpc\{closure}('/tmp/bgstatusHk...', '/tmp/bgoutputiq...')

#1 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/filesystemmgmt.inc(709): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->execBgProc(Object(Closure), NULL, Object(Closure))

#2 [internal function]: Engined\Rpc\OMVRpcServiceFileSystemMgmt->create(Array, Array)

#3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(123): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)

#4 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(86): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('create', Array, Array)

#5 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(537): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('FileSystemMgmt', 'create', Array, Array, 1)

#6 {main}

https://wiki.omv-extras.org/doku.php?id=omv6_new_user_guide#basic_openmediavault_configuration
beginner guide im following

ok, resolving my own problem, but reporting back in case anyone else has issues like this.

As documentation, i switched the hard drive to a different slot in my Argon Eon (it was middle left, now it’s middle right), it switched from /dev/sdb to /dev/sda and now it seems to be wiping and creating the file system properly. yet to resolve if this is an sda vs sdb issue in the sense that sda was previously empty and i was attempting to work on sdb, or if its an issue with that slot.

if anyone from Argon reads any of this, it would be nice to know if this is a problem with my board/eon or if this is expected behavior.

one further tidbit, i’m running the OS from 500gb M2 drive via the internal usb3 slot. it was previously called /dev/sda when the hard drive was in the middle left slot (frame of reference with led screen closest to me), but when i switched the hard drive to middle right, the hard drive switched to /dev/sda and the boot M2 drive became /dev/sdb.

1 Like

When I initially set up me EON, I had a 500 GB boot driver like you, and a pair of 2TB 3.5 inch drives installed.

/dev/sda and /dev/sdc were the 3.5 inch drives, and /dev/sdb was the NVME boot drive using the available USB-A slot.

I’ve since added two 2.5 inch drives to the case.
The boot drive moved from /dev/sdb to /dev/sdc.

Everything continues to work and OMV 6 detected the change and still sees/uses the two 3.5 inch drives which are now /dev/sda and /dev/sde

The sdX drive letters are assigned based on whichever drive responds to the host first, and can change from boot to boot. As a result, you should never rely on the drive that’s /dev/sda today being /dev/sda tomorrow.

Instead, use UUID: Universally Unique Identifiers. ls /dev/disk/by-uuid will list the UUIDs of all disks currently connected to the system; ls /dev/disk/by-partuuid will show you the UUIDs of all available partitions.

If you’d prefer something a little more human-readable, ls /dev/disk/by-id/ will show the disk’s self-reported identifier - which is usually CompanyName-Model-Serial or some variant thereof. Partitions on each are suffixed -part1, -part2, and so forth.

All of these are usable anywhere you’d normally use /dev/sdX. For instance, mount /dev/sda1 /media/disk1p1 becomes mount /dev/disk/by-partuuid/d2f5b222-c6ce-4651-88c7-e98a536d6746 /media/disk1p1; btrfs filesystem show /dev/sdb becomes btrfs filesystem show /dev/disk/by-id/ata-ST2000DX001-1FS133_Z4Z4QMMX. You can also use 'em in /etc/fstab or wherever, it’s all fully interchangeable - and, more importantly, won’t change when you reboot.

1 Like