Replacement fan

Me too. The Sunon Maglev fans seem to be unavailable for now at least, and that is after hours of looking thru the web for one. ( or you can get one, but $70 shipping!!!) Obviously the supplied fan is a dud with so many people complaining about it… hoping that ARGON do an upgrade soon. It would be worth a dollar or two extra just to have a decent fan…

I have four Argon ONE M.2 cases and had another fan fail…second one in about a year or so. It didn’t “fail” exactly but started making a lot of noise whenever it ran. I had a spare one from Argon that I got as a replacement a while back so I swapped it but after two failures, I was determined to find a suitable replacement.

I found some Sunon MagLev 30x10 fans with the PH2.0 connector on eBay for a very reasonable price. The full model is GM0503PFV2-8. I ordered five of them today. I will report back once I receive them but anticipate no issues as they appear to be a drop-in replacement.

I have no association with this seller but here is the link if any else is interested…

3 Likes

Thanks for taking the plunge on these, I’ll grab one too and report back - connector A (Black/Red) or B (Red/Black)?

1 Like

I selected the “A” connector wiring. Mine will be here Monday.

1 Like

Well, bad news. The connector on the new fans is a Molex PicoBlade but this connector does not fit the fan header on the Argon ONE board. Does anyone know what plug type fits the header on the board? At this point, I know it’s not a Molex PicoBlade and I know it’s not a PH2.0.

Here are some pictures…

IMG_20220802_171750917
IMG_20220802_171903986
IMG_20220802_172022118

I can’t figure out what this connector this is.

@joseph.zapanta, can you share the name of the connector used on the Argon ONE fan?

EDIT:

For anyone following along, the connector for the case fan on the Argon ONE is a two pin JST ZH 1.5mm. You can find a small “crimp yourself” kit with plugs, jacks, and pins here. I also found a set of the plug with wires for a “solder yourself” solution here. I think I may have bought the last one of the wire leads as they are now showing out of stock.

IMO, this has been a ridiculous amount of effort to locate a replacement fan with no help from Argon Forty. I have four of these cases and in my experience with them, the stock fan is not built for the long haul. Not having a suitable replacement available for purchase is a bit disappointing but choosing to use a fan with a connector that appears to be intended for LiPo batteries is a strange and slightly irritating choice that Argon Forty made.

Anyway, I like my ONE cases and will continue to use them. Maybe on the next revision of the case, Argon Forty will consider a slightly larger footprint so a 40x10mm fan can be accommodated. These are much more readily available and in my experience with my EON, quieter.

2 Likes

Thanks for all that information @SJMarty

Definitely not a simple drop-in replacement.

1 Like

I´m having problems with my fan as well. It shrieks on startup and has become rather unstable.

Today I tried a WINSINN Dual Ball Bearings fan rated 0.126A@5V and had to cut the wires, solder the original wire with the connector in place just to get even more dissapointed since the new fan is even more noisy, however more stable :slightly_smiling_face:.

Next time I plan to completely de-solder smd-connector from the pcb and just solder the wires from the fan directly to the pcb. That way I dont have to think about the connector.

With the connector out of the way: Which 3010 fan would be the best for this application? Is the Sunon discussed earlier the one to aim for?

Hmm… I think something might not be quite right with my fan. Not really sure what it is…

:frowning:

PXL_20220825_202352234

“Blade Runner” :wink:

That must’ve made an interesting sound when it came off!

Hi there,
I just ordered a GM0503PFV2-8 fan, it’s not cheap transport is very expensive but I hope it will be less noisy. I use a rpi4 8Gb overclocked at 2 Ghz with an M2 box for amateur radio applications, I will keep you informed of the improvement, have a nice day everyone

1 Like

Hi,

@SJMarty have you replaced the fan yet?
How would you rate it? Noise, fan speed control.

I tried replace fan with Sunon MF30100V21000UA99. Result is bad, the fan is much noisier than the original. Fan speed control doesn’t work (argononed.conf), it runs at 100% speed all the time.

Thanks

It might be over kill but I bought fans for RC cars that fit perfectly. The down side is you need to solder the plug. Also it sounds like a hair dryer is on. Cools the Argon ONE down very well. If you are going for quiet this may not be the option for you. :grin:

2Pack RC Car Motor Cooling Fan Heatsink 28000RPM Brushless ESC Cooling Fan for RC Car 1/8 1/10 540 550 Motor (Black+Silver)

JST ZH 1.5MM 2 Pin Female (I did not need this many)

Hi @Bandits-69,

did it worked the GM0503PFV2-8?

I’ve found it on Aliexpress by 10$ and already ordered, but it will take one month to arrive.

Thanks

Hi cgine
Yes, it works well but it has the same noise level as the old MF30100V1-1000U-A99. the test was done by ear, so I left the old one for the moment.
Ventilo

I find that my fan doesn’t come on, given that I have set the trip points higher than I used to. If you have noisy fans, you might want to do that and reduce or eliminate overclocking. I used to run all my Pi 4Bs at 2.147gHz, but what’s the point of the power consumption and heat generation. Mostly they are servers sitting there with low load-averages (CPU %) 90% of the time. The next iteration of the One case should try for a larger, more common, quieter fan. I’ll keep my trip points high.

I immediately upgrade my Argon EON to a thicker fan + bigger power adapter, its bit noisier but more air flow efficient to meet my needs also customize fan curves on/off time based on HDD drive bay temperature sensing.

If you want to stick with stock specifications & dimensions which is about 15mm in thickness, make sure to check 12Volt DC Fan 2-wire.

Here are types of fan technologies:
Worst Sleeve bearing - cheap quality translates to shorter life span.
Better Dual Bearnings - longer life.
Best Hydraulic Bearings - In theory longest life span above of all 3.
(note: some may call it Hydro, Fluid, Hydro Sleeve - all pretty much the same)

It seems like these replacement fans never come with right type of connector end, so you will need to crimp off the connector and transfer it to the new fan.

GDSTIME 60mm x 60mm x 25mm Dual Ball Bearings 12V DC Brushless Cooling Fan
Slightly more wattage demanding (upgrade replacement)

Liquid Bearing Lube
Few drop of this magic lube

I use Liquid Bearings and like it a lot.

Found a replacement 3010 fan on German Amazon for 8,99€:

1 Like

So how did the installation go, was it straight plug & play, does the ArgonOne control the speed, is it quieter/noisier, free from vibrations … ?

I’m interested because the fan in mine has a vibration when running, although I should be grateful that mine is actually running.

Very disappointing that they sourced such a junky POS fan and so many users are having problems finding replacements.