Pi4 8G running OMV 6 in EON - S.M.A.R.T functions not working

So I received my EON a week ago and got docker, plex and some other services going on. everything works as it should.
However, in the dashboard of OMV no information about CPU and disk temp is showing (it shows on the mini LED screen but not on the OMV), just plain graphs. I also can not add any of my disks to the S.M.A.R.T tab on the system. I searched/Reddit/YouTube/google, but I can’t figure out what is going on.

Before I put my Pi4 into the eon those smart features worked fine.

Any ideas? Or something is wrong with the board? Thanks

I’m seeing similar with my long running OMV 6 setup.

I used to see the S.M.A.R.T. information, but now all I have showing is my boot drive.
The other hard drives are no longer shown.

I think OMV buggered something up (again).

1 Like

After searching a bit more I found a thread about the same issue in the OMV forums by someone using Argon EON too. If I understood correctly, the issue seems to be from the USB Controller (JMicron).

Link: After update from 6.9.6-1 to -2: SMART stopped working w error - Seite 3 - Updates/Upgrades - openmediavault

I will try to execute the solution, but I am no expert and most of what they are saying is greek to me.

1 Like

This should get you up and running:

sudo vi /var/lib/smartmontools/drivedb/drivedb.h

Paste this in where the other VIA chipset entries are, then press :wq (semi-colon wq)

//My VIA Labs info
{ “USB: ; USB3 Hub”, // USB3->SATA, USB-C->SATA
“0x174e:0x1155”,
“”, // 0x0100
“”,
“-d sat”
},
{ “USB: ; USB3 Hub”, // USB3->SATA, USB-C->SATA
“0x1741:0x1156”,
“”, // 0x0100
“”,
“-d sat”
},

2 Likes

It has been reported. No action has been taken.
https://www.smartmontools.org/ticket/1772

I solved the SMART part using ChatGPT. Basically what BlackRose suggested is the right way (I guess). However, I am not good at changing Config files through terminal commands, and new to Linux world. ChatGpt is helpful as you can copy the terminal output, explain it to you, and provide you with a copy-paste command.

you just have to explain your issue, your setup, and maybe provide some written guides on the web. It will do a pretty good job.

The thing that I couldn’t get to work completely (even with GPT help) is the lm-Sensor. It is partially working atm.

Also, the small graphs are useless atm, couldn’t get them to work, even though they were working before using the ARGON EON case.

Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 2.15.14 pm

Hi BlackRose67,

I’d recommend using the smart_drivedb.h file, as the drivedb.h gets overwritten during an update. So editing /etc/smart_drivedb.h should do the trick. :slight_smile:

BTW, I had two different ID’s “0x174e:0x1155” and “0x1741:0x1156”.

Stefan

EDIT: If there’s no /etc/smart_drivedb.h, create one. :slight_smile:

i had to create a file using:

sudo nano /etc/smart_drivedb.h

with these contents, one for each SMARTCTL error that came up ( I have 3 drives in the Eon using both controllers.

// Your device - just a comment for your yourself
{ "USB: SATA enclosure ; ", // USB 3.0
“0x174e:0x1155”,
“”, // 0x0201
“”,
“-d sat”
},

{ "USB: SATA enclosure ; ", // USB 3.0
“0x1741:0x1156”,
“”, // 0x0201
“”,
“-d sat”
},

It works now! I did a search for smartctl errors in OMV and found a forum post from November last year that gave me the tip. I can’t find that post but I think some of the other folks have posted already with the same fix.

edit: you have to use the string relevant to your hardware, for example 0x1741:0x1156 came up on the smartCTL errors I was seeing in OMV 7 for my hardware. That string may be different for your machine.

1 Like