Odd hard drive behavior, maybe power related?

Hey;

I have an Eon case, with 2 Seagate NAS drives, 1 SSD and 1 usb (boot) device plugged in to the board, running OMV (the two Seagates are not RAID’ed). I’ll boot/restart the system, and things work fine. After a bit I start to get errors - dmesg reporting (for ex) ’ I/O error, dev sde, sector 33310760 op 0x0:(READ) flags 0x80700 phys_seg 1 prio class 2’, and data stored on the particular device is not accessible. With a restart, things clear up and work, until it happens again. I’m using the stock power supply that comes with the unit.

The board has 4 drive connections, and a USB port - I’m not using all 5 connections, but could I still be requiring too much power to feed all the devices properly? Or, I’ve seen some posts saying that the board needed to be replaced (in their case) - could I have a bad (ish) board? Any troubleshooting suggestions?

Thanks for any feedback/suggestions!

Is it always the same sector?

Try:

sudo smartctl -d sat -A /dev/sde

Look for failures, and/or post the details here. You may have a power issue but you could also have a drive failure. When disks run out of re-vectoring space they can go offline or readonly.