No display out with One V3 NVME

Hi!

I’m attempting to get a V3 NVME case with an RPi 5 working. I just can’t seem to get any display out of the thing.

The Pi works fine out of the V3 case, via Micro HDMI adaptor on an HDMI cable, booting from SD card into RPi OS.
Power adaptor: official RPi 27W.

When in the V3 case using the same HDMI cable without the adaptor, the green activity light on the Pi indicates loading, then goes static green, flickering occasionally, so I’m presuming the Pi has booted successfully. The display sees no signal and goes into standby.

I’ve checked a few times the daughterboard being pushed all the way in and that seems to be true, with the boards screwed into the case.

I’ve tried with and without the NVME drive installed (WD Blue SN580), with no difference in behaviour seen.

Any thoughts on what else I can try? TIA!

hi Reesty,
dunno if you in the meantime have succeded to solve your problem. I have been working on the same problem since three days without any progress. While my shiny new raspberry pi 5 works very well “nude” without any case with the micro html connectors and on my wooden desktop, I simply cannot have it working within my the argon one V3 M.2 NVMe PCIe case. There is no HDMI display what so ever even knowing that the Pi5 boots, as I can tell from the green LED on the Pi and as well from the VNC server which, as I found out after some fruitless trials, works only with x and not with wayland. The life of the Linux user is a very difficult one - rarely new things work on the first shot. I read lots of articles and tried out many suggestions mainly concerning the config.txt files, to no avail. today I also looked at my working similar older Argon case I used with my raspberry Pi4 which worked well and tried to port the settings in the config.txt file to the new raspberry Pi5. No success! The worst thing is, that for each try I had to remove th Pi from the case with the risk of breaking it even if now, where I got the VNC server working, this will not be necessary any more. Up to now I have not even arrived at trying out myPCIe SSD card because I’m stuck with the “no HDMI signal” message on the screen. I’m very close to giving up and return the case to the shop.

Reesty
There are known issues with WD nvme drives. The nvme controller is not compatible with RPi5. Try a different brand.

Be sure cable to nvme drive is oriented and seated tight.

Boot off your SD card with full RPI OS with all apps - update + upgrade - upgrade bios firmware - use PI Imager to load the RPi5 image you want on the nvme drive. Use raspi-config to change boot order to boot from nvme. Shutdown and remove SD card. If you got this far it will boot off your nvme drive.

Hi Karl.

I did manage to fix the issue in the end. I read elsewhere that there could be an issue with the daughterboard - in my case being of version number 1.3. I had no response to my post here, so contacted the place I purchased the case from (thepihut.com). They knew of the problem and advised me to contact cs@argon40.com for assistance.

I emailed them on 5th April, as suggested and re-stated the issue, along with the fact my board version was 1.3. They replied a week later, asking me to provide my details, including address - I replied the same day.
I heard nothing for a month, then replied asking for any info. I got a reply a couple of days later providing shipping info.

Hopefully, if you follow the same path (if you haven’t already - apologies for my slow response!), you’ll get yourself up and running!

Good luck!

Thank you, Reesty for writing. In the course of my tests concerning the Argon 40 case I also arrived at the conclusion that the trouble must be with HDMI Power board, because I checked, that the raspberry Pi booted and also the cables were fine. I wonder why one has to contact the customer service and the knowledgeable people there seem not to follow the discussion in the forum and come up with the solution by themselves. It is all a big nuisance . They treat us like guinea pigs.

I created a new topic for my case but then found this one and it is similar enough to my problem that I thought I would include it here also so that it might help someone else.

New Argon ONE V3M.2 case with new Pi5 full size HDMI ports don’t work. Tested the Pi5 directly using Micro HDMI cable without the case successfully. I can VNC and SSH into the Pi to see that it is working. I had installed a Samsung 990 evo NVMe. The NVMe did not work in the unit. I replaced it with a Crucial P3. The NVMe side of the V3 then worked. Installed the firmware update from Argon site. Installed the power button and fan control script successfully. Ran the fan board test successfully. The full-size HDMI ports still do not work, however. Tried 4 different HDMI cable with no change. Purchased and tried brand new certified 4K HDMI cable with no change.
I checked the CPU temp/ voltage and HDMI ports with a Samsung computer monitor attached to each of the ports when testing (see below:).

dwight@Pi5:~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=48.3’C
dwight@Pi5:~ $ vcgencmd pmic_read_adc EXT5V_V
EXT5V_V volt(24)=5.01696000V
dwight@Pi5:~ $ ls -1 /sys/class/drm/card?-HDMI-A-?/edid
/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid
/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid
dwight@Pi5:~ $ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid
EDID of ‘/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid’ was empty.
dwight@Pi5:~ $ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid
EDID of ‘/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid’ was empty.

At this port I don’t know what else I can do to fix this problem, please advise about any next steps.