Full size HDMI ports on Argon ONE (v3 m.2) case don't work

New Argon ONE V3M.2 case with new Pi5 full size HDMI ports don’t work. Tested the Pi5 directly using Micro HDMI cable without the case successfully. I can VNC and SSH into the Pi to see that it is working. I had installed a Samsung 990 evo NVMe. The NVMe did not work in the unit. I replaced it with a Crucial P3. The NVMe side of the V3 then worked. Installed the firmware update from Argon site. Installed the power button and fan control script successfully. Ran the fan board test successfully. The full-size HDMI ports still do not work, however. Tried 4 different HDMI cable with no change. Purchased and tried brand new certified 4K HDMI cable with no change.
I checked the CPU temp/ voltage and HDMI ports with a Samsung computer monitor attached to each of the ports when testing (see below:).

dwight@Pi5:~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=48.3’C
dwight@Pi5:~ $ vcgencmd pmic_read_adc EXT5V_V
EXT5V_V volt(24)=5.01696000V
dwight@Pi5:~ $ ls -1 /sys/class/drm/card?-HDMI-A-?/edid
/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid
/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid
dwight@Pi5:~ $ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid
EDID of ‘/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-1/edid’ was empty.
dwight@Pi5:~ $ edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid
EDID of ‘/sys/class/drm/card1-HDMI-A-2/edid’ was empty.

At this port I don’t know what else I can do to fix this problem, please advise about any next steps.

hi [USSGudgeon I’m experiencing the same problem that you describe and also made the tests you made. I as well tried other HDMI cables well, but this was not even necessary. When I leave the full size HDMI in, remove the SD card and start the unit again, I see the bootloader messages on the screen complaining that it does not find the card. You could try this as well and I guess you get the same result :wink: I contacted the Argon client service and the man there proposed several tests to perform but neither produced HDMI output on the screen. I’m not hearing anymore from Argon since 10 days. I urged them to tell me what they are going to do about my problem but got no answer. I’m really not amused about the loss of time and money and I’m considering to take legal action

The HDMI ports never worked whether I used an SD card or NVMe. I have received some support from Argon yesterday. They think that the daughter card has some cold solder joints and that they will send out a replacement board.

“Thanks for reaching out. We will send replacement HDMI USBC daughter board for V3. We do apologize for this incident.”

I will post what the final solution to my problem is hopefully :slight_smile:

2 Likes

HI, I received a new HDMI daughterboard a few days after after contacting my spanish reseller and now the case is working fine without problems. Problems I had however with the cs at argon40. The were not helpfull at all. They responded with long delays, gave as it seems phantasy names and when they asked me to provide my name and address and the name and address of the reseller and I sent them the bill, the reseller had sent me where all these information was neetly written, they declared themselves incapable of extracting the information from the bill. ridiculous