Extending the OLED screens

LOL, I was assuming it was my updated version (since it’s in this post) but, yep no confirmation of that… I guess one of us is right :wink:

1 Like

Sorry for late reply

1. Raspian Lite 64 bit with OMV6

2. I tried uninstalling but when i tried installing the standard argon script, just installed again your script (yes with this code " curl http://download.argon40.com/argoneon.sh | bash " even i reboot my pi)

3. Now my conf files

# Argon Fan Speed Configuration HDD
#
# Min Temp=Fan Speed

50=33
55=45
60=66
65=100
# Argon Fan Speed Configuration CPU
#
# Min Temp=Fan Speed
55=33
60=66
65=100

Actually my problem is when i install your script everything just normal but if i set temperature cpu and hdd with argon-config command then fan always running, so right now i first deleted script with argon-config command then reboot then installed again and set conf files with nano, right now fan stopped but i dont know, if system reach temperature conf files fan run

Allright - after some fights in unexpected places, I’ve got my Eon up and running now, hosting a raid1 Time Machine capsule for starters.

@NHHiker , your repo seems to be the go-to for getting the Eon’s specials usefully set up, thanks for the work and for having it open on GitHub!

But I’m posting here, so there’s a question… : on Ubuntu 22.04, there’s two problems with getting going:

• hddtemp does not exist anymore as a package
  • raspi-gpio doesn’t exist either

For hddtemp, I’ve found the place where the executable is used - and I’m guessing that e.g. skdump might be an alternative to get hard disk temperatures.

Where exactly is raspi-gpio coming into the picture? I’d try to get a PR going with a 22.04 version, but need to work out what the deal is with that.

@Daniel I have not setup a system with Ubuntu 22.04 (not really a fan of Ubuntu and their kernel patch mechanisms… )

Not sure what the raspi-gpio package has changed to… anyway it looks like the GPIO package is required for talking to the OLED and on/off and fan functionality.

Looks like raspi-gpio was replaced with python3-lgpio

and:

sudo apt update
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/h/hddtemp/hddtemp_0.3-beta15-54_amd64.deb  
sudo apt install ./hddtemp_0.3-beta15-54_amd64.deb

@Daniel - I updated my code to handle Ubuntu 22.04.

Since hddtemp is no longer available as a package from Ubuntu (it is for x86), I have the code download smartmontools. I created a fake hddtemp script so nothing else needs to change.

I plan on doing some more updates:

1. use smartctl for all platforms
  2. remove all of the non-EON stuff from the scripts
  3. make it easier to add new platforms, based of of the /etc/os-release file.

@NHHiker
I don’t know if you’ve seen my post, but I see that you’ve been update the Git for the install script.
I’m using Ubuntu 21.10 and I have yet to get it to work. I sent a message to support and have researched here for any relevant threads.
I have zero fan control and no OLED. The config script will run if I type argon-config. I checked to see if a argoneon.service is running and it’s not nor does the system know of one.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

@jet438 Sorry had not seen it. I will have to build a 21.10 Ubuntu config and see if I can tell what’s happening. I have noticed that SLOWING DOWN the fan does not always work. Not sure why, but the code appears to be doing the right thing, I wonder…

But I did notice that booting into Ubuntu 22.04 seems to take much longer than RaspberryPI OS… on a 8 gig system.

The service fails at start. I believe it has to do with RTC. I put the error code in my email to Kenneth.
Edit: sudo systemctl argoneond.service does produce an exit failure with the RTC module.
Within the config for RTC the follow is the error:
File “/etc/argon/argoneond.py”, line 17, in
bus=smbus.SMBus(1)
FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Hope that helps

@jet438

Updated the code to support Ubuntu 21.10. Please make sure you uninstall with argon-config, then remove /etc/argon/*

Prior to the new install.

curl -L https://raw.githubusercontent.com/JeffCurless/argoneon/main/argoneon.sh | bash

Also please record the running of the script so I can see if any errors are reported, and let me know if everything works… I’m planning on replacing my boot disk in shortly so I can get back to work on my storage code.

Developing a object based file system, and am planning on using the EON as my storage platform.

@NHHiker
Thanks for the quick turnaround. I will be able to do this on Saturday. You mentioned recording the running of the script. I don’t believe I’ve even done that process before. I’m more a watch the terminal and check the system logs kinda guy…but I’ll give it a go if you describe the process for doing it.
Either way I’ll be sure to report back as I’m sure other users may be curious as to the results.

@NHHiker
As an aside, I have a real admiration for for people that do what you do. My son makes his living doing what you do. Me? I build buildings in NYC for a living. Got into linux a (short) while ago back at RedHat 6.0 (I think it might have been their first GUI release).
At any rate, Good luck with the file system.
I really like the design of the EON so much I may actually buy another in the fall (Summer is for building watches…the other hobby.)
I saw in the config that there’s a section to extend the OLED time of life. Would it be over the top to request an “always on” option? if it is that’s ok too.

@jet438

Just run the command, the cut and paste all of the output into a file if there is an error. Nothing is more frustrating than getting the error message… but not the text “above” it that actually explains the issue…

My father was a builder so I’ve done that, decided a long time ago that working outside in the winter is not nearly as much fun.

:wink:

Roger that. Either way I’ll give you feedback.
Long time go I worked in the part of construction that was outside (field superintendent). It was one February when the temperature was -10 degrees F without the wind chill when I decided that the project management or office side a better idea. :grin:

1 Like

@NHHiker :+1: Confirming that your updated script installs + runs without issue on Ubuntu Server 21.10 (thank you very much for your time + effort!).

My drive temperatures tend to hover just below 35 degrees C so I edited /etc/argononed-hdd.conf (by simply commenting out 35=30) so that the fan doesn’t kick in until the drive temperatures reach 40 degrees.

1 Like

@NHHiker thank you so much, that’s much more than I’d hoped for!

(was on a business trip this week, so didn’t get around to picking this up - but will now)

@NHHiker
No bueno. I still get a failure on the argoneond.service. No issues on the install though. See below output from both.
Install:
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 0*************
Argon Setup

100 14117 100 14117 0 0 60587 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 60849
Installing on Ubuntu 21.10
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
liblgpio1
The following NEW packages will be installed:
liblgpio1 python3-lgpio
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

curl is already the newest version (7.74.0-1.3ubuntu2.1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
smartmontools is already the newest version (7.2-1build1).
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/argononed.service → /lib/systemd/system/argononed.service.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/argoneond.service → /lib/systemd/system/argoneond.service.

Setup Completed

Version 2203003

Post install:
systemctl status
argoneond.service - Argon EON RTC Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/argoneond.service; enabled; vendor >
Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2022-04-30 11:11:02 EDT; 7>
Process: 1881 ExecStart=/usr/bin/python3 /etc/argon/argoneond.py SERVICE>
Main PID: 1881 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
CPU: 431ms

Apr 30 11:11:02 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Scheduled restart job, r>
Apr 30 11:11:02 NAS2 systemd[1]: Stopped Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 11:11:02 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Start request repeated t>
Apr 30 11:11:02 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result 'exit>
Apr 30 11:11:02 NAS2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Argon EON RTC Service.

log file:
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 4.
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 systemd[1]: Stopped Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 systemd[1]: Started Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 python3[3026]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 python3[3026]: File “/etc/argon/argoneond.py”, line 17, in
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 python3[3026]: bus=smbus.SMBus(1)
Apr 30 11:14:27 NAS2 python3[3026]: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 5.
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: Stopped Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Start request repeated too quickly.
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 30 11:14:28 NAS2 systemd[1]: Failed to start Argon EON RTC Service.

Hope that helps to narrow it down.
Or…since I’m not really going to use the RTC which lines to comment out on argoneond.py I can do that too.

So right here is the issue for the argoneond.service. Looks like smbus is not imported properly. Since it is imported, and works on other systems this looks to me like the smbus python module is either missing, or incorrectly installed.

I would try:

sudo apt --reinstall install python3-smbus

And then see if you can start the services.

No bueno
Apr 30 15:32:55 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 30 15:32:55 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 30 15:32:55 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 1.
Apr 30 15:32:55 NAS2 systemd[1]: Stopped Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 15:32:55 NAS2 systemd[1]: Started Argon EON RTC Service.
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 python3[3741]: Traceback (most recent call last):
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 python3[3741]: File “/etc/argon/argoneond.py”, line 17, in
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 python3[3741]: bus=smbus.SMBus(1)
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 python3[3741]: FileNotFoundError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Failed with result ‘exit-code’.
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 systemd[1]: argoneond.service: Scheduled restart job, restart counter is at 2.
Apr 30 15:32:56 NAS2 systemd[1]: Stopped Argon EON RTC Service.

@jet438

Try:

sudo python3 /etc/argon/argoneond.py SERVICE

see what it gives for errors.

I did get the service running. I was booting off an M.2. When I boot off the SD the service doesn’t fail.
Sorry to be the problem child, but there’s still issues

OLED running but only 1/3rd screen
Put all zeros for fan in both CPU and HDD - no effect fan constantly runs