Extending the OLED screens

Good point so I changed the font size back to fontwdReg and then modified the background icon image by pushing the icon down one line with the following.

sudo mv /etc/argon/oled/bgip.bin /etc/argon/oled/bgip.ori.bin
sudo dd if=/etc/argon/oled/bgip.ori.bin bs=1 count=896 seek=128 of=/etc/argon/oled/bgip.bin

@Zarquon I like it, updated and pushed it up a moment ago.

Also fixed a typo in the OLED configuration script. The bandwidth page description was missing a “t”. Noticed by @SJMarty.

Thanks!

1 Like

While not related directly to this updated script, I’ve noticed since I updated my Bullseye install (updated rpi-eeprom) that my pages are now fading out after a page transition.

Anyone else seeing this?

I’m running 64bit bullseye… no issues, including an updated rpi-eeprom.

Are you using the beta eeprom that allows for network install?

No, I’m using the standard eeprom with 64-bit bullseye lite with OMV.

I re-installed the script, but it looks like my OLED panel is failing.
I only have the top row displaying now :frowning:

That sucks… FYI the code that drives the OLED display is the same as the original, the changes are simply the data being sent.

Have you checked for proper connections?

@BlackRose67 I just checked mine. The page changes, the display lights up, then it fades. Next page update I get a display, then it fades.

Stopped and restarted the argononed service and … still happens.

systemctl stop argononed.service
systemctl start argononed.service

I checked the connection as best I could.

I’d like to disconnect it and reconnect it, but I can’t get my fat fingers in there.

EDIT: Was able to use the included screwdriver to lift and then reseat the connection on the bottom board, and now I’ve got full screen displaying again and no fading.

1 Like

Good Day!

I just updated my repository with all of the changes just delivered from argon40 (i.e. hdd temp monitoring and fan speed changes based on that).

I also noticed in passing that the desktop icon was not getting installed on 64bit bullseye, this appears to be directly related to a check of /etc/os-release, expecting to see ‘Raspbian’ listed… it is not so modified that,

Also the desktop of the person installing the tools will get the icon added. The code was assuming user pi, and that caused a number of issues.

I had zero testing on RAID… I do not have a RAID setup on the box anymore, and can’t get it on there for a little while as I have the system dedicated to another task (for the moment).

1 Like

Installed the updated script(s).

My fan is running at 100% now :rofl:, doesn’t seem to be recognizing the config files.

EDIT: BTW, It’s not your changes that’s causing it.
I also tried out the updated script from Argon40, and it’s doing it.
There seems to be something not quite right with it, at least for me.

EDIT2: Figured it out.
It was the HDD temperature profile that was causing it to spin constantly.
My HDDs are between 37C and 41C, so that was causing the fan to run all the time.

Thanks! I was off camping with Scouts… I’m going to monitor the drive temps and see… I can’t seem to get the speeds to run at a reasonable speed.

Okay so there is a bug in the original script in the get_fanspeed function.

The code calls the get_fanspeed function twice, once with the CPU temp, to get the fan speed requirements from that list, and once with the MAX hdd temp.

The maximum of these two calls is then used to set the fan speed in the temp_check function. This is all good.

The issue is that in the get_fanspeed function while processing temperatures, if we are above one of the settings the code will always return 25.

So assume you have argononed-hdd.conf setup like:

35=0
45=50
50=100

When you HDD temp is between 35 and 44.999 the fan speed will be set to 25% not 0. There are two things you can do to prevent this.

1. Make sure that neither configuration file has a temperature that you want the fan running at 0%
  2. Make a code change.

Since the purpose of the configuration file is to drive the fans, I’m going to fix the code and remove the 25% minimum.

I also found that the code will not reload the settings unless you stop and restart the service. I modified that so now if you pull down the latest, the code inspect the two config files every time it checks the temperature. This occurs once every 30 seconds, UNLESS the new fanspeed is less than the prior fan speed in which case the code will pause 30 seconds to prevent lots of fluctuation.

Still not happy with it as the code will always set the fan speed even if the previous speed was identical (i.e. it is setting the speed every 30 seconds or so…)

Hi, i just installed this script but my fan always running and i cant uninstall

So this is my fan configs

#
# Argon Fan Speed Configuration CPU
#
# Min Temp=Fan Speed
55=0
60=0
65=50

# Argon Fan Speed Configuration HDD
#
# Min Temp=Fan Speed
30=0
35=0
40=0
45=0
50=25
55=50

How can i stop my fan?

What’s the temperature of your device?

I had the same issue initially and had to tweak the HDD configuration.

At the moment my CPU is running at 42 and my hard drives are between 39 and 41.

These are my configuration settings for now.
I know I’ll have to adjust them once the heat of summer arrives, but for now this is working.

Argon Fan Speed Configuration CPU

Min Temp=Fan Speed

55=33
60=66
65=100

Argon Fan Configuration HDD

Min Temp=Fan Speed

50=33
55=45
60=66
65=100

My CPU running between 40-44 C and HDDS(raid0) running between 45-50 C

@Uruloki
Couple of things:

1. What OS are you using
  2. Why can’t you uninstall? Is an error given?
  3. Remove all of the temp=0 entries.

The fan is on because, the system is detecting a temperature that is above one of the entries. You can disable the fan by;

Uninstalling the script (Hence why I need to understand what version OS you are using, and what the error is.

• or -

Run:
systemctl stop argononed.servce
systemctl disable argononed.service

BUT - The fan is on because the system is HOT.

There’s a bug in the current release of the script, whereby a fan speed value of 0 effectively translates to a value of 25.

If you remove all the zero-speed entries from both configuration files and restart, it should work fine. There’s no point having them in there, anyway: the default is for the fan to be off below your trigger temperatures (65 for CPU and 50 for HDD, in your current scripts.)

@ghalfacree Actually, I fixed that issue in my branch, it no longer defaults to 25…

Anyway, if the configuration files are NOT present, or unreadable for some reason the speeds are as
follows (from the original code as well):

CPUFanConfig = ["65=100", "60=55", "55=30"]
HDDFanConfig = ["50=100", "40=55", "30=30"]

So a HDD temp of 30 would provide a 30% fan speed, IF there was no /etc/argononed-hdd.conf file. Since I have never seen an HDD temp on my system below 30, seems like the fan would be on all the time.

@Uruloki So… question… does /etc/argononed-hdd.conf exist?

I was making the ass-u-mption that they’re running the stock script, absent information to the contrary.