Dead PSU damged PI

I received my ArgonEON case about a week ago and the initial setup with a RPi4 8GB and 4 HDDs went well after installing and configuring OpenMediaVault.
Yesterday it was dead, nothing would turn on.
I took everything apart and reassembled it with the same result.
I have tested the Rpi4 which turns on but the ethernet is dead.
I cannot get hold of a compatible PSU and I certainly can´t afford a new RPi4 8GB !
So do you think that I am being unreasonable asking for a new PSU and a RPi4 8GB ??
Thank you.

A power supply can go faulty, but a failure to break an ethernet port is somewhat unusual.
Considering the ethernet port is from the Pi unit and not the other PCB inside so that in itself could be only damaged via the input, I would think some kind of surge has taken out the PSU and ethernet.
I’m sure they will replace the PSU

Mike, I hope so but I can´t figure out how to contact them directly, any suggestions ?
Thank you.

Contact support at cs@argon40.com

Thank You I will contact them …

Wow this is weird. Now my power supply is working fine.
But I also had a PI where the onboard ethernet was DOA.
Right now i’m using a USB dongle to at least startup.

The problem is that I didn’t try the PI outside the case before.
A new PI is on the way, I will first attempt to boot it outside the case and then inside to see if the case is related the ethernet port not working.

Are you using a UPS unit or a surge suppressor? Though I am not being an Electrical Engineer, but I have learned an electrical spike can destroy a lot of electronics in its path if they are not protected from a spike. If you are using an ISP that is using broadband cable or twisted pair, they can be affected by a lightening strike and it will definitely affect your Ethernet.

Do you have another computer to try and connect to the internet through your router/modem?

Normally a dead PSU doesn’t do anything; it can’t kill anything it is connected to, 'cos it is dead. The question may be “what killed the PSU?”… I can see that in this case it worked for a day or two.,

I don’t know your PSU power rating, but was it enough to comfortably supply a Pi 4B (8Gb) + 4x hard drives? Was the voltage rating correct to supply 5Vdc for the Pi 4B… and the 4 HDD’s?

Any other equipment connected? Worse, anything connected that could backfeed voltage up one of the ports on the Pi 4?

I don’t know the answer to your question for sure, as the remains (dead Pi 4 and the PSU in particular) would need closer examination to try to identify your problem. :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

Just been looking thru a lot of official Raspberry Pi 4 specs… usually a 3 Amp PSU is used, typical current draw on bare board is 600mA (0.6 a), with up to 1.2 Amp available for external peripherals… specific mention is made of (a) spinning hard drive causing problems, some modems, some higher power rated SSD’s… or anything that can suck power out of the system, in excess. The recommendation being use a good quality USB Hub for your external devices. If you use a crappy USB hub, that can back feed voltage into the USB port…bypassing the Pi protection circuitry (and indicator LEDs)…and you won’t know that the Pi is getting cooked. If excess current is being drawn, this loads the PSU and takes the voltage down. The Pi will still operate at this lower voltage… but it is in a ‘brown out’ situation and can cook the Pi circuit board
(from… Raspberry Pi Documentation - Raspberry Pi Hardware )

This doesn’t address POE which also uses the Pi PSU…so if you have POE plus any of the above problems, the POE current comes out of the total external current you may supply, and may crash and /or burn your Pi.

Also be aware that SSD current draw varies a lot between types…which is why the SATA drives are recommended as they use lower current than PCles and NVMe’s. Even the Argon M.2 base for the Argon One case specifies 1x SATA SSD only, and even then a PSU upgrade maybe in order… (a higher current model of PSU)

So the answer may be that to power up a Raspberry Pi 4 and 4 HDD’s off the one Raspberry PSU is simply too much for it to handle. I would definately do the powered USB Hub thing , after reading the cautions in the Pi documentation. BUT also refer to Powered USB HUB issues in the documentation… a whole extra level of complications and warnings about what you can and cannot do.

Definately read and understand your PSU and peripherals, and USB Hub recommendations within the Raspberry documentation.

Hope that this helps anyone out there…