Can't Update Raspbian due to Issue with Bullseye Repository Keys. Help?

I can’t update the apt-get repositories due to an issue with signing keys. Is anyone else seeing this?

It’s more than a little bit of a problem; I’m not comfortable updating packages when parts of the repo list aren’t syncing correctly.

I’d appreciate any suggestions for fixing it.
I’ve already tried apt-get clean and apt-get autoclean, with no change.

$ sudo apt-get update
Get:1 Index of /debian-security bullseye-security InRelease [44.1 kB]
Hit:2 Index of /debian bullseye InRelease
Get:3 Index of /debian bullseye-updates InRelease [39.4 kB]
Hit:4 Index of /debian bullseye InRelease
Err:2 Index of /debian bullseye InRelease
The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 605C66F00D6C9793 Debian Stable Release Key (11/bullseye) debian-release@lists.debian.org
Err:1 Index of /debian-security bullseye-security InRelease
The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 112695A0E562B32A Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 54404762BBB6E853 Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
Err:3 Index of /debian bullseye-updates InRelease
The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
Fetched 83.5 kB in 1s (86.8 kB/s)
Reading package lists… Done
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: Index of /debian bullseye InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 605C66F00D6C9793 Debian Stable Release Key (11/bullseye) debian-release@lists.debian.org
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: Index of /debian-security bullseye-security InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 112695A0E562B32A Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 54404762BBB6E853 Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: Index of /debian bullseye-updates InRelease: The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/InRelease The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 605C66F00D6C9793 Debian Stable Release Key (11/bullseye) debian-release@lists.debian.org
W: Failed to fetch http://security.debian.org/debian-security/dists/bullseye-security/InRelease The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 112695A0E562B32A Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 54404762BBB6E853 Debian Security Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
W: Failed to fetch http://deb.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye-updates/InRelease The following signatures were invalid: EXPKEYSIG 648ACFD622F3D138 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (10/buster) ftpmaster@debian.org EXPKEYSIG 0E98404D386FA1D9 Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (11/bullseye) ftpmaster@debian.org
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

@SinisterPisces

I’m not seeing that (I know, not much help)… but given its been a couple of days, have you tried
to update again?

Tried it again tonight.

Still no joy. :frowning: I’m guessing I need to install Raspbian Lite at this point.

Try running

$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver <KEYSEVER> --recv-keys <KEYSIG>

Thanks, @Renegade_fanster . :slight_smile:

Honestly, due to various real life events and my being frustrated with the EON, I haven’t gone back to it since my last post, on May 3.

I decided I needed to get back to trying to make it work with the official instructions, so I booted it up today and had your command ready to run…

And then, before I could run the apt-key command, I decided to try to update the repos one last time. And this time, it had no problems with apt-get update, and everything is now working correctly.

The clock even finally synced itself via NTP.

So whatever it was before, it was clearly on the distro servers’ end of things.

Now to see if I can get the fans to an acceptable level without endangering the disks…

when ever doing online updates (even in windows) your date and time needs to be pretty close to the current time or you will see the errors you saw. I think its something to do with certificates. If your date is well out of wack the certificates from the online repository wont be valid.

Once you set your time via NTP that’s why your problem went away.

That makes sense.

I just thew my hands up and walked away for a month, especially after Raspberry Pi OS wouldn’t even set its own time. (timesyncd or whatever it is that syncs with NTP was enabled and active and just … didn’t want to sync. The docs mention that it negotiates with the sync server to figure out the best frequency to ping the time server. Mine was just getting hung up.) Not sure what was going on upstream.

I’m glad that’s all working now, at least.