Can the Argon EON usb SATA controller be connected to another PC?

I realize this is an odd use case but I would like to directly connect the disks in an existing Argon EON system to another computer. Inside the EON, the board with the SATA connectors is basically just a SATA-USB bridge that connects to the Pi with that custom C-shaped USB plug, right?

While the Pi was still powered on (with disks unmounted) I remove the C-shaped plug and used a normal USB cable to connect the top port (labeled “SATA USB”) and connected it to another computer. But the other system does not recognize any new device being connected via USB.

Maybe I just have a bad cable? Or is there some technical reason this isn’t going to work?

1 Like

It is likely specially wired since USB-A to USB-A is not actually a safe configuration historically since it could fry both machines connected as it is a host-only connection (you find it normally only on a computer).

If the little U-shaped A-to-A connector is specially wired, then why can’t patbert use a USB-A extension cable on either side of the little U-shaped thing (sit in middle of two extenders) in order to connect to another computer?

It is a matter of confirming that the USB A port on the back of the EON to the drives could be extended AND then using an extension to the PC and finally knowing whether all 10 connections on a USB 3.0 extension can go directly between the adapter and the EON.

This would require some time with a multimeter set to continuity mode and verifying the connections. You can’t assume that everything is wired directly or that there isn’t a possible gotcha in there that will fry things.

This would be really useful in some situations.
I wouldn’t mind having to buy a special cable to get this functionality.