Argon V5 NEO NVME Compatibility

Thought I would start this thread to list specific NVMEs people have tried with this case and had success or not.

Suggest people list their specific success stores. Here’s mine:

PNY CS1030 250GB :x:
Did not work. NVME was not recognised by the OS using either lspci or lsblk

Netac NV3000 250GB :white_check_mark:
Worked out of box

Sounds a good idea to me, but it could be important which versions are in use:

  • bootloader version
  • kernel version
  • revision of the NVMe, if available
  • current firmware version of the NVMe
  • pcb revision of Argon case

Do you plan to update frequently your initial post, to hold the information compact?

Yes, I can edit the original post as the thread starts to get populated.

Good point on the other stats like versions etc. If people have those available, please include them in your response.

1 Like

The Kingston NV2 M.2 PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB works for me: Previous Post
Note that config.txt has moved in Bookworm: /boot/firmware/config.txt
My previous post has contents of config.txt file - The system runs well, initial uptime of nearly 47 days with bootloader: Fri 16 Feb 2024 15:28:41 UTC (1708097321).

1 Like

This is what’s working for me:

NVMe: Samsung PM9B1 M.2 NVMe 256GB
OS: Ubuntu Server 24.04 LTS (kernel 6.8.0-1004-raspi)
EEPROM: Sat Apr 20 10:53:30 AM UTC 2024 (also OK: Fri Feb 16 03:28:41 PM UTC 2024)

I am not using pciex1_gen=3 because I favor stability over performance.

Appears I don’t have the ability to edit my original post.

Just after post I updated to:-
Kernel: Linux 6.6.28+rpt-rpi-2712
Bootloader: Sat 20 Apr 2024 10:53:30 UTC (1713610410)

sudo nvme list

Model                      Format      FW Rev  
KINGSTON SNV2S2000G        2.00  TB    SBM02103

Performance with: pciex1_gen=3 ( Has been stable for me since original installation)

dd if=/dev/zero of=./speedTestFile bs=20M count=5 oflag=direct
104857600 bytes (105 MB, 100 MiB) copied, 0.154623 s, 678 MB/s

Lexar NM790 2TB :x:

At first i had a subtly misaligned PCIe cable (the Argon Neo 5 NVMe case screws don’t hold together well such that the case must have opened a bit and pulled on the cable) such that only the last SSD in my list was recognized (with severely limited dtparam=pciex1_gen=1 performance but no link errors xD ).

When completely reattached the cable all SSDs were recognized out of the box, although
I only tested with with PCIE_PROBE=1 in sudo rpi-eeprom-config --edit

Kingston NV2S 1TB :white_check_mark:

Micron 2450 256GB :white_check_mark:

Samsung PM991a 256GB :white_check_mark:

Samsung PM981 256GB :white_check_mark:

Kingston KC3000 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB SSD :x:
It doesn’t even fit in the Argon Neo 5 case. The KC3000 has chips on both sides of the board, and the Neo 5 has a bump just next to the M.2 slot, which makes it impossible to install :frowning: