Argon v3 power supply requires 5A

Not everyone who will buy and use the v3 case uses a Raspbian / rpi / ubuntu etc desktop they may use Libreelec and that addon is still over 3 years old and not python 3 or giop zero compatable …

1 Like

If I needed to edit the original eeprom instead of using the argon script, what should I add to the eeprom other than adding the followings?

BOOT_ORDER=0xf146
PCIE_PROBE=1

After reading all this, I’m still lost just bought Pi 5 with Argon ONE V3 and got an error message see pic. Do we have a solution? Also, I’m a beginner like literally beginner.

It seems that you doesn’t used the argon1.sh script or something was going wrong. Please check if you have in the bootloader/EEPROM configuration this line:

PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000

and additional in your config.txt:

usb_max_current_enable=1

I assume, that the last one is currently missing.

sorry, I have no idea where to add this or change

You doesn’t told much details, like which OS you using. I can only assume that it’s PiOS.

To edit the config.txt:
sudo nano /boot/firmware/config.txt

To edit the bootloader/EEPROM config you can use this command:
sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit

After you changed/added the lines, you need to reboot afterwards to activate the new settings.

Apologies for the lack of details, I’ve never worked with Pi’s before and I’m not sure what I’m doing here, hope this is what I’ve needed to do.

The second line (lower case letters) “usb_max_current_enable=1” is right.

But the line “PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000” (in capitals) should not be inserted into config.txt. This line must be exist in the EEPROM, there bootoader configuration is nonvolatile saved. To check you can use one of these commands too:

rpi-eeprom-config

or

vcgencmd boodloader_config

But to edit this EEPROM content, you must use this command:

sudo -E rpi-eeprom-config --edit

Nice one, it doesn’t show that error anymore. I’ve also got m.2 drive, but that’s not showing. I want to run from m.2 instead of an SD card. What would be the best OS to use with utorrent and doing some pirate stuff? :grinning: :grinning: :grinning:

For what you will do with your OS you are responsible yourself.

Regarding the M.2 NVMe you should ensure, that you bought a NVMe from the compatibility list somethere in the forum here or at the website of Pimoroni, and not accidentally a M.2 SSD.

If the drive is compatible, you should follow the installation instruction from the manual first and execute the argon1.sh script.

I’ve got the right NVMe, it does show now. Okay so let’s say, I want to run Ubuntu from the NVMe, will I need to rerun these commands?

The EEPROM part shouldn‘t needed to touched again, but the argon1.sh script updates the config.txt too. This config.txt file is reset to defaults, after a new OS installation. Additionally you must ensure that you have a recent kernel inside of your Ubuntu installation, to support the NVMe. It could be that you can boot from SD card only, until you updates all packages.

Tried installing Ubuntu but now I got this, any idea why is that?

It seems that the NVMe is already in use or disconnected from bus during this attempt. Do you have rebooted and looked at what lsblk is reporting?

sorry for the late reply, it does show that is there as shown in pic, I’ve rebooted it a couple of times. Tried mounting Pi OS and it worked. Now I’m trying to mount ubuntu and seems to be working for some reason now. Glad that all this that I’m trying to do is at work and getting paid for it.

how do I boot from NVMe now? All sorted. Does ubuntu have any fan control? It gets hot and the fan is not spinning.

Since my crystal ball is currently in the workshop and you continue to skimp on important details, it’s not easy to help you.

If the Ubuntu installation is now running, like you wrote. Do you have ensured that you have updated all packages with sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade -y?

Normally this is part of the argon1.sh script. This script additional provides a systemctl daemon ‘argononed.service’ for the fan control. Are you sure, that you have executed this script at your Ubuntu installation?

If you have disconnected the fan physically and connected the fan directly to the RPI5 pcb, the fan control only works if the kernel supports that. Additionally you must than configure a dtoverlay with the thresholds right and/or additional self made script to control the fan on that way: Argon V3 fan speed issues - #10 by HarryH

Thanks for you help Harry, but I’m giving up. Yesterday was working everything fine except the fan. Today I won’t turn on at all. Going to return it and probably will get a mini pc. Thought that it will work after putting it together but it’s not.

Put it together again can really help, but you need a little bit to force, like described here:

1 Like

It’s fine, I’ve decided.