Argon One V3 nvme not recognized

Thank you for this photo. I wasn’t aware, that a new bootloader was released.

I did everything I could, including updates. I wonder if replacement ribbon can be bought. That’s the last resort.

1 Like

I have found this interessting discussion regarding the SUSCLK signal.

I wonder if this was adapted to your Pimoroni NVMe base and possibly missing at Argon ONE V3.

Do you have already tried what happens if you add these to your cmdline.txt?

pcie_aspm=off

I think this would not helps regarding the boot issue, but perhaps the device will be detected by the kernel.

Good point. I’ll check it out.

I gave a shot but it didn’t help.

:poop:

Where I was a little bit afraid, as I found this statement that the SUSCLK was removed on new hardware revisions.

If this clock signal is important, than it’s like a lottery to get it work if you doesn’t know before what you get.

Thank you for all the involvement in this thread.

I did read this at some point too.

I am returning the sn850x and i got Crucial P3 Plus 2TB coming my way.

I’ll write a quick update asap

1 Like

In my opinion they should come with a spare ribbon.

1 Like

The Online statement is a Lawsuit waing to happen.

• Boot your Raspberry Pi 5 from an NVME M.2 Drive.

I have now tried 3 differnt NVME Drives, NONE are recognised.
RMA .

I can confirm that all works as expected using a crucial p3 plus 2tb

thank you all for all the help here, especially @HarryH

2 Likes

This isn’t necessarily an Argon ONE problem, as the Raspberry Pi itself is known to be very picky in regards to NVME drives (and maybe future eprom updates will help with this?). That being said, Argon ONE could provide an “official” NVME compatibility list to solve frustration for their customers. A good starting point is Pimoroni’s supported list here: NVMe Base for Raspberry Pi 5 - NVMe Base.

However, I tried one of the drives on this list (the Team MP33) and it did NOT work properly with the Argon ONE case. I then tried a Crucial P3 M.2 and it worked perfectly. YMMV

Rick

I wonder if I order only the expansion board for the Argon v3 case, ribbon cable is included. I think this is the cheapest way to obtain a replacement cable.

I received the expansion board for the Argon V3 case and there were 2 cables included.

1 Like

@sicilian I originally found your post because you kindly mentioned Ubuntu 23.10. I’m only on 23.10 as a stopgap until 24.04 arrives (tomorrow).

@bofalot Thank you for relaying the photographs from the Argon CS agent. I too had the cable the wrong way around. I think the manual could be much clearer on this point. I corrected the cable orientation (photos attached), but it turns out that wasn’t my only issue. Ubuntu 23.10 was part of the problem.

I’d dutifully followed all the advice to update the EEPROM (sudo rpi-eeprom-update -a), but on Ubuntu 23.10, that only got me as far as September 2023. I had to install Raspberry Pi OS, then run the same command to get a post-Christmas bootloader.

CURRENT: Sat 20 Apr 10:53:30 UTC 2024 (1713610410)

Once that was installed my NVMe drive (Crucial P3 Plus M.2 4TB) showed up in lsblk.

I suspect that this solution will be short-lived, because I imagine that either a) the package for Ubuntu 23.10 will be updated or b) Ubuntu 24.04’s release will come with an up-to-date bootloader (rpi-eeprom-update package). Nonetheless, for anyone currently stuck in Ubuntu-NVMe-Pi5 limbo, I hope this helps.

2 Likes

you can find a replasement cable on amazon

Just popping in to say this thread was very useful when choosing an NVME for the Argon One V3 so thanks to all the posters. I went with a 512GB Lexar NM620, it works fine and I can boot Home Assistant from the NVME and no SD card in the Pi without issues.

1 Like

Similar to user Segabor, I’ve been through 4 NVMEs including the Crucial P3 that is listed as compatible and I get the following on boot;

board: d04170 da11f7b2 d8:3a:dd :b9:ed:e1

boot: mode USB-MSD 4 order f41 retry 0/128 restart 1/-1

SD: card not detected

part: 0 mbr [0x00:00000000 0x00:00000000 0x00:00000000 0x00:000000001

power: supply: RPi USB-PD 5000 mA CC1 PMIC: reset normal 0x0 usb_over_current=0

net: down ip: 0.0.0.0 sn: 0.0.0.0 gw: 0.0.0.0

tftp: 0.0.0.0 00:00:00:00:00:00

display: DISPO: HDMI HPD=1 EDID=ok #2 DISP1: HPD=0 EDID=none #0

Boot mode: SD (01) order f4

Failed to open device: ‘sdcard’ (cmd 371a0010 status 1fff0001)

Boot mode: USB-MSD (04) order f

USB2[1] 000206e1 connected

USB2[1] 00200603 connected enabled

USB2 root HUB port 1 init

USB MSD stopped. Timeout: 25 seconds

Boot mode: RESTART (Of) order 0

Boot mode: SD (01) order f4

Boot mode: USB-MSD (04) order f

USB2[1] 000206e1 connected

USB2[1] 00200603 connected enabled

USB2 root HUB port 1 init

I’ve flipped the ribbon cable, ensured case closed tightly etc.

Any suggestions, based on the boot sequence above (which just continues in a loop)?

Figured it out myself - I hadn’t updated my Pi5 to the latest firmware.

Confirmed, I received my NVMe backplate with 2 ribbons. And surprise, my Samsung EVO drive was recognized right after I replaced the ribbon cable! My odussey with the Argon case has come to a happy end.

1 Like