Argon One (V3) case fan for Pi 5 not working with Batocera v39

Hello everyone. I’m posting this issue because I have tried to Google the answer myself and checked the Batocera forums to see if anyone has an idea for a solution. Many have suggested connecting the fan plug from the top PCB directly to Pi fan port. Being a newbie, I have no idea how to do that, but I have heard that it only allows you to run the fan in one speed. In this case, that wouldn’t be a viable solution because some of the emulators that are included in Batocera require it to run almost at full speed while others do not.

Does anyone know of a script that would run the fan at a reasonable speed (based on the temperature of the board and the cpu)? It seems like this wouldn’t be a problem if I used RetroPie and chose to download the script from the command prompt, but the only way to do that currently is to compile it. It may take a few months for the official image to be available. I’d like to stick with Batocera for now.

If anyone here has any suggestions or a working script, please let me know. Thanks for your assistance.

1 Like

Same here!
A workaround how to get the V3 running on other systems besides Raspberry Pi OS would be nice!
Same issue with LibreELEC, it simply doesn`t work :frowning:
Thank you!

Sorry for that, but Batocera seems to be an edge case. Like LibreELEC, it’s not based on a main stream OS distribution, so I currently doesn’t expect that there already exists a working script.

May be this could be an option, if version 0.5 is released:

If the used kernel of Batocera a recent one and the dtoverlay is available, than you can also disconnect the fan from the case pcb and connect directly to the RPi5 board:

LibreELEC could be more widespread (in my opinion) than Batocera, that is the reason why there exist a Addon for that. But please doesn’t use the outdated version 0.0.1 (a.k.a. ArgonRemote.zip). You should install version 0.0.13, (or 0.0.12a, until I have released a bugfixed version of 0.0.13)

1 Like

I can’t be much help fixing it, but here’s why it doesn’t work:

On the Pi4/Argon One v2, the Batocera devs took Argon 40’s official fan and button script, then modified and embedded it to work within Batocera’s unique architecture. As an end user, all you have to do is modify a single line of text in a config file and bam - the fan and buttons just work!

On the Pi5/Argon One v3, this is not an option. The Batocera team has not added support for any Pi5 cases (yet) because the 40 pins in the GPIO header have changed functions. You’ll need to contact Batocera team either on Discord or via a Github issueto request that they add support for it.

1 Like

I did and today got this answer :smiley:

“a dev will more than likely need a case. if you sponsor one or get ArgonOne to send us one, then it can be added.”