Argon BLSTR DAC not working

I am having problems installing an Argon BLSTR DAC that I purchased from the Pi Hut recently. It is attached to a Raspberry PI 5 8GB that I have installed in the Argon One V3 M3 NVMe PCIe. The Pi appears to be working properly and boots from the NVMe drive without a problem. I have installed the DAC card in accordance with the instructions and configured it using argon-config as per pages 7 and 8 of the DAC instruction manual. After rebooting, I checked the /boot/firmware/config.txt file and the line dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus,slave appeared at the bottom of the file. However, the card is not delivering any sound when I run VLC Media Player as a test and when I check the PLAYBACK hardware devices installed using aplay -l, it just shows the two hdmi devices as cards 0 and 1 – nothing else is listed.

I should be most grateful if you would advise if there is something wrong in the configuration or is there another driver that I should be installing? Alternatively, is it possible the DAC card is faulty? I have physically uninstalled it and reinstalled it to ensure that it is fitting correctly – and checked to see that none of the pins in the connectors are missing or bent. I have approached the Pi Hut and they suggested I post here in the first instance as the card is so new.

I am guessing that you booted initially with an SD card and then used Imager to install the OS on the SSD.

I found that the two installation scripts reported that the current versions had already been installed, but I had to run argonone-config one more time to enable the BLSTR-DAC when booting from the SSD.

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes, I installed the OS on the SSD and then removed the SD card so I just boot from the SSD. Following your advice, I have just uninstalled the Argon ONE v3 script and then re-installed argon-eeprom.sh and argon1.sh, with a reboot after each as per the manual. Then I ran argon-config again to enable the DAC but I get the same response when I try aplay -l.

Which OS do you currently use in detail? Can you please post your whole config.txt?
There are some changes regarding the hifiberry drivers in combination with the used kernel:
https://www.hifiberry.com/blog/changes-in-hifiberry-drivers/

Possibly it necessary to change the line to:
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus-std

For troubleshooting purposes it seems important to look with:
uname -a
for the kernel version and grep for log entries in the boot log:
dmesg | grep -i "hifiberry"

I too have the same issue with the same setup, also purchased from PiHut today. I am also getting an error reported about the line dtparam=pciex1_gen=3=on in /boot/firmware/config.txt

here are the relevant messages

pi@RPi5-1:~ $ uname -a
Linux RPi5-1 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.6.20-1+rpt1 (2024-03-07) aarch64 GNU/Linux

pi@RPi5-1:~ $ dmesg | grep -i β€œhifiberry”
[ 2.633035] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: activating headphone amplifier
pi@RPi5-1:~ $

pi@RPi5-1:/boot/firmware $ cat config.txt

For more options and information see

http://rptl.io/configtxt

Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on
###dtparam=nvme
###dtparam=pciex1_1=gen3

Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)

dtparam=audio=on

Additional overlays and parameters are documented

/boot/firmware/overlays/README

Automatically load overlays for detected cameras

camera_auto_detect=1

Automatically load overlays for detected DSI displays

display_auto_detect=1

Automatically load initramfs files, if found

auto_initramfs=1

Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

Don’t have the firmware create an initial video= setting in cmdline.txt.

Use the kernel’s default instead.

disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Run in 64-bit mode

arm_64bit=1

Disable compensation for displays with overscan

disable_overscan=1

Run as fast as firmware / board allows

arm_boost=1

[cm4]

Enable host mode on the 2711 built-in XHCI USB controller.

This line should be removed if the legacy DWC2 controller is required

(e.g. for USB device mode) or if USB support is not required.

otg_mode=1

[all]

dtparam=uart0=on
dtparam=nvme
dtparam=pciex1_gen=3=on
max_usb_current=1
usb_max_current_enable=1

I believe this line is obsolete:
max_usb_current=1

I’m thinking this is a misspelling in the case manual or a undocumented alias: dtparam=pciex1_1=gen3. The syntax you tried is wrong and should be:
dtparam=pciex1_gen=3
The number is the value. β€˜=on’ is not needed in such case and make this line invalid.

The message from your kernel log looks promising. The device may have been found in your case, in contrast to BillB’s last post. You may need to assign the correct audio device in your player or unmute the mixer. Can you please check which ALSA devices are being reported?
aplay -l
or
cat /proc/asound/cards

Normally this is part of the argon1.sh script. Depending which audio backend is in use you must execute this.

sudo raspi-config nonint do_audioconf 1 for PusleAudio
sudo raspi-config nonint do_audioconf 2 for PipeWire

Because I haven’t this kind of hardware, I can’t test it locally, but it seems you should make some additional changes to your config.txt to remove some conflicts:
https://www.hifiberry.com/docs/software/configuring-linux-3-18-x/

remove/comment out:
dtparam=audio=on
and change the following line:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio

If nothing else works until now, you should additional test with this line:
force_eeprom_read=0

PS: If you enclose the file content in 2 backticks (symbol preformatted text: </>), the content will not be wrongly interpreted as text formatting.

Hi Harry,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I have been away for the weekend. Taking your points in turn:

OS details are: Debian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)"

Uname -a:

Linux Raspi5-N 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712 #1 SMP PREEMPT Debian 1:6.6.20-1+rpt1 (2024-03-07) aarch64 GNU/Linux

dmesg | grep -i β€œhifiberry” :

[ 2.199992] snd-rpi-hifiberry-dacplus soc:sound: activating headphone amplifier

Listing of config.txt:

For more options and information see

http://rptl.io/configtxt

Some settings may impact device functionality. See link above for details

Uncomment some or all of these to enable the optional hardware interfaces

dtparam=i2c_arm=on
#dtparam=i2s=on
#dtparam=spi=on

Enable audio (loads snd_bcm2835)

dtparam=audio=on

Additional overlays and parameters are documented

/boot/firmware/overlays/README

Automatically load overlays for detected cameras

camera_auto_detect=1

Automatically load overlays for detected DSI displays

display_auto_detect=1

Automatically load initramfs files, if found

auto_initramfs=1

Enable DRM VC4 V3D driver

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
max_framebuffers=2

Don’t have the firmware create an initial video= setting in cmdline.txt.

Use the kernel’s default instead.

disable_fw_kms_setup=1

Run in 64-bit mode

arm_64bit=1

Disable compensation for displays with overscan

disable_overscan=1

Run as fast as firmware / board allows

arm_boost=1

[cm4]

Enable host mode on the 2711 built-in XHCI USB controller.

This line should be removed if the legacy DWC2 controller is required

(e.g. for USB device mode) or if USB support is not required.

otg_mode=1

[all]

dtparam=uart0=on
dtparam=nvme
dtparam=pciex1_gen=3
max_usb_current=1
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus,slave

Finally, I changed the last line in config.txt to: dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus-std and rebooted, but aplay is still only listing the two hdmi audio devices and nothing else. dmesg | grep -I β€œhifiberry” now returns nothing.

Just to add to my last post, I made the changes to the config.txt file that you suggested to Pencoys and the problem remains. When I restore the last line to dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus,slave, dmesg returns the same response as I reported in my last post and aplay -l just lists vc4hdmi0 and vc4hdmi1 as cards 0 and 1 respectively.

I don’t know if it’s really needed to get such HAT to work, can you please check that you have the following entry in your bootloader / EEPROM configuration:
PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000

and add this line to your config.txt
usb_max_current_enable=1

This ensures that the RPi5 doesn’t limit the USB power to 600mA.

Do you have tried this too?

remove/comment out:
dtparam=audio=on
and change the following line:
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d
to
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio

If nothing else works until now, you should additional test with this line:
force_eeprom_read=0

EDIT:
The change is very new (2024-03-12): Add specific clk-producer/-consumer overlays for Hifiberry DACplus by j-schambacher Β· Pull Request #6024 Β· raspberrypi/linux Β· GitHub

Before you switch to β€œhifiberry-dacplus-std”, please check if your distro is really up to date and the overlay file with the same name exist in the sub folder of the boot partition:
ls -la /boot/firmware/overlays/hifi*

/boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo

There exists another scenario where I not aware of it until now. It’s possible to load an overlay from HAT EEPROM directly. After some changes at the kernel, it’s possible that these integrated overlays are going outdated. For these cases the force_eeprom_read=0 line is there. But the recommended way is to move the 2 dtoverlay lines to the very beginning of the config.txt:

dtoverlay=

for kernels >= 6.1.77

dtoverlay=

The first line prevents the loading of the overlay from the EEPROM.

Thank you for all this Harry. I am committed for the next couple of days and getting withdrawal symptoms from the Pi! I will revert as soon as I have had a chance to work through your advice - but that may not be until Thursday.

Bill

Apologies for the delay in getting back yo you and thank you for your suggestions. Taking your points in order:

rpi-eeprom-config shows the following:

WAKE_ON_GPIO=0
PCIE_PROBE=1
PSU_MAX_CURRENT=5000
BOOT_UART=1
BOOT_ORDER=0xf416
POWER_OFF_ON_HALT=1

I have added usb_max_current_enable=1 to config.txt.

I had previously commented out β€˜dtparam=audio=on’ and added β€˜,noaudio’ to the dtoverlay=vc4…. Line.

No change after rebooting. I added β€˜force_eeprom_read=0’ to config.txt and rebooted. Again, no change: aplay -l just listing the two hdmi devices.

As far as I can tell, my Distro is up to date: cat /etc/os-release shows I am running β€œDebian GNU/Linux 12 (bookworm)”. The Kernel is 6.6.20. Just to make sure I ran sudo apt update and sudo apt full-upgrade. It reported that nothing needed doing.

The directory listing using ls -la /boot/firmware/overlays/hifi* reveals the following:

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2258 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-amp100.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1469 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-amp3.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1922 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-amp4pro.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 792 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-amp.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1183 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dac8x.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 668 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dac.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2192 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplusadc.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2267 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplusadcpro.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 712 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplusdsp.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2104 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplus.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1662 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplushd.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 972 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-digi.dtbo
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1138 Mar 7 14:51 /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-digi-pro.dtbo

I can’t see hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo in the listing and suspect this might be the issue. I do not know how to fix this if it is.

Finally, I have moved the lines

dtoverlay=
dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus-std to the start of the config.txt file and rebooted. This has had no effect.

If the problem is the missing hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo file in the overlays directory, can you please tell me what I need to do to fix this? My guess is that I need to extract and compile the information on github in the link you provided – but that is starting to stretch my competence. That said, I am able to follow instructions if you are able to explain what I need to do, please.

As long you not have /boot/firmware/overlays/hifiberry-dacplus-std.dtbo, please stick with the old variant: dtoverlay=hifiberry-dacplus,slave

It should work too (I hope), and will only removed after a grace period in the future.

I can be wrong, but one question: Do you have currently a SD card and a NVMe in your Pi5 inserted at same time? I’m asking because it’s possible that you have edit the config.txt at NVMe and the system possibly reads the config.txt from the SD card during boot.

If you already has boot without the SD card, please have a look for the content of this file:
/etc/modules
and the output of lsmod

And a little experiment, it’s only a stupid suspicion. You have installed the argon1.sh script, right?

• Please check which devices are reported at I2C bus.
    sudo i2cdetect -y 1
    (please post the content here)
  • disable temporary the argononed service (fan control, power button detection …)
    sudo systemctl disable argononed
  • power off the Pi5 and remove the power supply from the socket for some seconds
  • boot the Pi5
  • sudo i2cdetect -y 1
    (please post the content here)
  • look for the sound device

Regarding the kernel/firmware update: β€œrpi-update” can deliver a newer (bleeding edge) version, but we should reserve this step until we know that nothing else helps, because this can also make some trouble.
https://www.raspberrypi.com/documentation/computers/os.html#rpi-update

The first two lines of config.txt are now:
dtoverlay=

I removed the sd card once I had installed the OS on the SSD. I also have a separate Device Name for the SSD installation (the highly original Raspi5-N) so that I knew which installation was active when I had installed the OS on the NVMe card.

/etc/modules contains:

i2c-dev

(the commented lines are not included)

And lsmod:

Module Size Used by
rfcomm 81920 4
algif_hash 49152 1
algif_skcipher 49152 1
af_alg 49152 6 algif_hash,algif_skcipher
bnep 49152 2
binfmt_misc 49152 1
aes_ce_blk 49152 4
aes_ce_cipher 49152 1 aes_ce_blk
ghash_ce 49152 0
snd_soc_tpa6130a2 49152 0
brcmfmac_wcc 49152 0
gf128mul 49152 1 ghash_ce
hci_uart 65536 0
btbcm 49152 1 hci_uart
rpivid_hevc 65536 0
v4l2_mem2mem 65536 1 rpivid_hevc
pisp_be 49152 0
bluetooth 638976 31 hci_uart,btbcm,bnep,rfcomm
sha2_ce 49152 0
videobuf2_dma_contig 49152 2 pisp_be,rpivid_hevc
sha256_arm64 49152 1 sha2_ce
sha1_ce 49152 0
videobuf2_memops 49152 1 videobuf2_dma_contig
videobuf2_v4l2 49152 3 pisp_be,rpivid_hevc,v4l2_mem2mem
brcmfmac 360448 1 brcmfmac_wcc
ecdh_generic 49152 2 bluetooth
videodev 344064 4 pisp_be,videobuf2_v4l2,rpivid_hevc,v4l2_mem2mem
raspberrypi_hwmon 49152 0
ecc 65536 1 ecdh_generic
snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus 49152 0
libaes 49152 4 aes_ce_cipher,bluetooth,ghash_ce,aes_ce_blk
brcmutil 49152 1 brcmfmac
cfg80211 1032192 1 brcmfmac
videobuf2_common 98304 6 pisp_be,videobuf2_dma_contig,videobuf2_v4l2,rpivid_hevc,v4l2_mem2mem,videobuf2_memops
snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c 49152 0
snd_soc_pcm512x 49152 1 snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c
regmap_i2c 49152 2 snd_soc_tpa6130a2,snd_soc_pcm512x_i2c
rfkill 49152 6 bluetooth,cfg80211
mc 81920 6 videodev,pisp_be,videobuf2_v4l2,videobuf2_common,rpivid_hevc,v4l2_mem2mem
designware_i2s 49152 0
rp1_adc 49152 0
raspberrypi_gpiomem 49152 0
nvmem_rmem 49152 0
uio_pdrv_genirq 49152 0
uio 49152 1 uio_pdrv_genirq
i2c_dev 49152 2
fuse 147456 5
dm_mod 163840 0
ip_tables 65536 0
x_tables 81920 1 ip_tables
ipv6 589824 56
vc4 409600 12
snd_soc_hdmi_codec 49152 2
drm_display_helper 49152 1 vc4
cec 65536 1 vc4
drm_dma_helper 49152 2 vc4
spidev 49152 0
drm_kms_helper 262144 2 drm_dma_helper,vc4
snd_soc_core 327680 6 snd_soc_tpa6130a2,snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,vc4,snd_soc_hdmi_codec,designware_i2s
snd_compress 49152 1 snd_soc_core
snd_pcm_dmaengine 49152 1 snd_soc_core
v3d 114688 5
i2c_brcmstb 49152 0
snd_pcm 163840 7 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hifiberry_dacplus,snd_soc_hdmi_codec,designware_i2s,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm_dmaengine
gpu_sched 98304 1 v3d
drm_shmem_helper 49152 1 v3d
snd_timer 65536 1 snd_pcm
clk_hifiberry_dacpro 49152 0
spi_bcm2835 49152 0
snd 147456 6 snd_soc_pcm512x,snd_soc_hdmi_codec,snd_timer,snd_compress,snd_soc_core,snd_pcm
gpio_keys 49152 0
drm 720896 19 gpu_sched,drm_kms_helper,drm_dma_helper,v3d,vc4,drm_shmem_helper,drm_display_helper
drm_panel_orientation_quirks 49152 1 drm
backlight 49152 1 drm
i2c_designware_platform 49152 1
i2c_designware_core 49152 1 i2c_designware_platform

There are no stupid suspicions or questions :blush:. Yes, I did install argon1.sh and was able to run argon-config. The manual talks about an Argon ONE V3 desktop icon but I do not have one on view. Picking up on your other points:

bill@Raspi5-N:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – 1a – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: UU – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –
bill@Raspi5-N:~ $

After following your instructions re disabling the argononed service, powering off and restarting the pi:

bill@Raspi5-N:~ $ sudo i2cdetect -y 1
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: – – – – – – – –
10: – – – – – – – – – – 1a – – – – –
20: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
30: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
40: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
50: – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
60: UU – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
70: – – – – – – – –

Unfortunately, I am still getting no response and aplay -l lists the following Playback Hardware Devices:

card 0: vc4hdmi0 [vc4-hdmi-0], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: vc4hdmi1 [vc4-hdmi-1], device 0: MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0 [MAI PCM i2s-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

Thank you for the advice re rpi-update. I certainly wasn’t aware that it could install a pre-release version and will note that for the future!

Can you please grep for i2c
dmesg | grep -i "i2c"

I had expected, that if you modify /boot/firmware/config.txt with dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio that hdmi audio is disabled. :thinking:

Sorry, it seems I’m lost in translation.

β€œonce” β†’ re-inserted again after the the first attempt?
β€œonce” β†’ is removed since this time?

A different system name unfortunately isn’t enough to be ensure that the bootloader has used the right boot partition. It behaves like your changes in config.txt are ignored or made in another config.txt file, this is the reason why I ask again…

and only for 100% sure the output of lsblk? Because of murphy’s law … :wink:

The modules for the sound device seems to be loaded. If you have a working backup and are brave, you should rpi-update give a try.

Hint: With the icon </> you can insert the text from the output of the console or from the text file as preformatted text. This will increase the readability a lot. :slightly_smiling_face:

Apologies for the confusion over β€˜once’ - in this context it means β€˜after’. To confirm, the sd card was removed after I had installed the OS on the NVMe drive. I then installed argon-eeprom.sh and argon1.sh.

I checked the line β€˜dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,noaudio’ in config.txt and found that, stupidly, I had inserted a space between no and audio. This has now been corrected and aplay -l now lists no soundcards found. My apologies for this error.

The listings you asked for follow:
(I have tried to include them in the symbols </> as you suggest - but am not absolutely clear how I should do this. I can only apologise if it is not done correctly.)

<
bill@Raspi5-N:~ $ dmesg | grep -i β€œi2c”
[ 1.059278] brcmstb-i2c 107d508200.i2c: @97500hz registered in interrupt mode
[ 1.084782] brcmstb-i2c 107d508280.i2c: @97500hz registered in interrupt mode
[ 1.719271] i2c_dev: i2c /dev entries driver
/>

<
bill@Raspi5-N:~ $ lsblk
NAME MAJ:MIN RM SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINTS
nvme0n1 259:0 0 465.8G 0 disk
Ò”œÒ”€nvme0n1p1 259:1 0 512M 0 part /boot/firmware
Ò””Ò”€nvme0n1p2 259:2 0 465.3G 0 part /
/>

I am a little dubious about running rpi-update after your comments yesterday. I am not sure I should need to try a pre-release version of the next upgrade as I am running standard hardware on an up-to-date operating system and it should all be compatible and work together. I am wondering whether the DAC card itself is faulty.

I meant this icon in the message editor of this forum:

With the additional whitespace clarified some things, thanks for checking again. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes it’s possible that your DAC card is faulty.

On my Pi4 I’m only using LibreELEC and have seen some strange/new behaviors with the last kernel builds. Additional some issues for a user in the LibreELEC forum were gone after switching to 6.6.21. Also there was feedback from a user of Argon ONE V1 with a misterious behavior, that the old argon1.sh was working, but the current argon1.sh seems to make trouble.

Such threads, are indication for me that something is in progress in the kernel regarding DAC:

Yes, it could be random, but I would never exclude that the software is the bad guy.

At my LE 12 installation currently 6.6.21 is in use. The current LE 12 nightly is using 6.6.26. So I don’t expect much issues with that version. To not ruin your current installation, perhaps you can disconnect the NVMe (or change the boot order to SD card first, like BOOT_ORDER=0xf461) and start from a fresh SD card to make this test with rpi-update? On this way you can’t make things worse, than now.

Another idea: To only check the hardware, you can test directly with LE 12 beta 1 or nightly and have a look if the sound device is listed/available in KODI, after the config.txt line for the DAC is added. But this distribution is simplified and specialized to start KODI, nothing else. Many command line tools are not available there.

Thank you for your suggestions. I will try a vanilla installation with an SD card and the NVMe disconnected. I can then try rpi-update as well. I can also give LibreELEC a try, as you suggest. I will report back if I get anywhere.

Thank you also for the information on the Icon - interestingly, it doesn’t appear in my browser:

Thank you again.

Regarding the icon, you can use alternativly 1 backtick at the start and the end for a one-liner. 3 backticks at start and 3 backticks after the last line for a block, like file content of config.txt.
I think the icon is currently hidden behind the gearing wheel, because you doesnβ€˜t used it before or the screen size is not wide enough.

If you try LibreELEC, you should skip argon1.sh and set the entries in config.txt manually. The argon1.sh script doesnβ€˜t support LibreELEC.

I had trouble getting the BLSTR DAC working in Ubuntu 23.10. I could never get aplay -l to show anything other than the two HDMI ports. The DAC worked flawlessly in Raspberry Pi OS. Make sure you right click the audio icon in Raspberry Pi OS and select the DAC and you are good to go.

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion. I have removed the SSD and generated a new SD Raspi 5 OS installation on an SD card. Following the installation instructions exactly as laid down in the manual, and after running argon-config, selecting option 3 and configuring the BLSTR DAC, I still do not see the device listed in aplay -l. Nor is there an audio icon on the desktop. I have tried, in argon-config/audio configuration, selcting the options for PulesAudio and Pipewire, rebooting each time, and there is still no sign of the DAC showing up in audio devices.

I will now try raspi LibreELEC as HarryH suggested.