Internal M.2 adapter together with four 2.5" SSD's?

Has anyone tried to install an M.2 adapter through the internal USB to run the os from and then add SSD’s? I’m still undecided on how many SSD’s I should buy and if it’s worth to ad an M.2 drive. It does look a bit tight for both the adapter and four 2.5" SSD’s.

1 Like

Fits OK on my system. The M.2 adapter just has to be one of the circuit board types that is about as wide as the M.2 drive (i.e. not in any kind of case).

ssd_view

5 Likes

Cool, thanx. How is it with heat, since they are so close to each other?

BTW, I’m guessing you are using the case as a heatsink. What type of heatpad did you use? Was it included in the M.2 drive packaging or did you buy it separately?

I have not really tested that yet. I use MicroSD cards to test and build systems and image the card as staged backups. It’s quicker to image and write an 8GB MicroSD than a 500GB drive :slight_smile: When I have a setup that I like I will flash the final image to the M.2 drive and fit it.

Sort of both…

The blue thermal “putty” sheet you can see in the picture was supplied with the adapter (see link in previous post). This is actually sitting between the adapter and the drive, not the drive and the case. When I finally use the M.2 drive I may add another strip between the drive and the case if heat is a problem. I purchased some sheets separately a while back so I’ll cut a but to fit.

Fair enough, good point. Probably should do that as well. :sweat_smile:

Sounds good, I guess I’ll do some midnight online shopping. :v:

1 Like

Hi, just thought I’d share what drive I got. I decided to get a SATA M.2 adapter as I probably wouldn’t see much of a performance benefit from an NVMe drive (and a SATA adapter is a little cheaper). Got this one off Amazon and seems to work fine. Only comment, the space for the internal M.2 is a little limited (around 24mm). This stick is around 26mm so right up against the adjacent SSD.

In hindsight, it would have been better for the internal USB to be twisted round 90 degrees so that it sits parallel to the SATA connectors, not at right angles

2 Likes

采用u盘是否可以我装了一个128G U盘

Thanks, I’ll see if Amazon USA has one. I did find this that’s in stock

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B093KYYQ39/?coliid=I3C1LVD11T20Z&colid=326IURSWR2O73&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

I’m using this one alongside 4 HDDs:

2 Likes

I purchased this since it can use any type of keyed SSD

M.2 to USB Adapter, RIITOP NVMe to USB 3.0 Reader Card Compatible with Both NVMe (PCI-e) M Key SSD & (B+M Key SATA Based) NGFF SSD

It cost a bit more but had more option in which SSD it supports

I bought the same one for the same reason :+1:, still waiting for the SSD.

1 Like

What is the best option for NVME SDD drive for Pi OS? Looking for performance and adequate capacity to run OS.

I would like to find out if there is that much difference between an SATA and NVME drive if using OMV on RaspiOS Buster or Bullseye. Also is there a benefit using a drive greater the 250TB for the OS?

Not sure, but I went for Crucial MX500 (the BX500 range is also good). Might have been overkill tho.

Edit: Sorry, just realized you asked about the M.2 drive (missed that you wrote NVME). I’m using Crucial CT250.

I don’t think there would be any speed difference, you’ll be limited by the USB adapter/port rather than the drive’s throughput. I’m using a PCIe gen 4 NVMe drive with mine (which should be capable of 4000+MB/sec), plugged into the adapter it topped out at 400MB/sec imaging the OS onto it from my computer, and I think the USB ports of the EON are not as fast. SATA sticks should be able to do 500-600MB/sec, so they should saturate the adapter/port just the same.

Unless you’re going to be installing tons of emulators/game ROMs or other programs onto the boot drive, probably not. I partitioned mine to use 128GB for the OS and the rest for media storage.

1 Like

I too purchased these and sit perfect in the port with space between adapter and the HDD.
The adapter and ssd are both the same width.

M.2 TO USB ADAPTER, RIITOP M.2 NVME & NGFF SSD TO USB READER CONVERTER ADAPTER FOR BOTH B KEY AND M KEY SSD

Samsung 980 500 GB PCIe 3.0 (up to 3500mbs) NVMe M.2 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (MZ-V8V500BW)

IMG_20220209_170904
IMG_20220209_171000
IMG_20220209_163626

Hope this helps someone.

Nellisoft, I want to ask you how did your partitioned your M.2 SSD for multiple partitions.

I have a 1TB M.2 SATA SSD which I partitioned in with 198GB for the OS and the rest for storage after I installed Bullseye Lite. However, when I installed OMV6 it only shows my SSD as a 931 GB drive. I would have thought that I would see a separate partition.

With the internal usb port A, holding the adapter with ssd can it be used for a storage drive only, giving 5 storage drives in total or can only be used for booting up the system rather than the sd card on rpi ??
I would value input on this question please.

I have the following configuration:
USB Port a has a 1TB M.2 SSD with the OS and OMV6 ( have the drive partitioned in 2 with the OS/MOV6 200GB and the other partition of 750GB for storage. I then have 2 8TB 3.5" HD and 2 5TB 2.5" HD.

What tool(s) did you use to partition your boot SSD?